Keeper's Bed with locker. (made by Irish Lights craftsmen). The two large oil lamps came from Rock Island Lighthouse buildings.
Chart of Lighthouses, Lightfloats, Fog Signal Stations, Sea Marks. 1985
CUPBOARDS with Lighthouses Keepers Crafts.
Displays of Memorabilia & Logs
Every task in the Signal Station performed by the Keepers had to be recorded. As the lives of sailors depended on the functions of the Light and Fog Signal, the Commissioners of Irish Lights had to ensure that everything was in perfect working order all the time. See Keepers’ Lists of Tasks, Records etc.
Bridge Competition/Radio Beacon Plans
The plans for the 1931 Radio Beacon show the concrete plinths on either side of the gorge in use. It went into operation on January 1st 1931 and cost £10,016.19s.2d.
The Competition for the Bridge attracted many solutions.
Aids to Navigation
24 hour listening watch radio/telephone and VHF
Racon Beacon No. 0178
Position 51°27’.05N 9°48’.80W
Located 070°, 475m from Lighthouse
Established 01/01/1931 Character: Continuous MZ-- --..x3 13 secs
Long Dash ----- 45 secs
Silent 2 secs
Total 60 secs
Range: 100 nautical miles. Frequency: 300,000kHz. Emission type: AIA
Racon Beacon 196
Height: 192’ Range: 28 miles. Continuous Transmission
Geographical position: 51°27’N 09°49’W Azimuth Coverage: All round.
NAVSTAR DGPS installed 1992 300.50kHz Range 52miles.
The following stations formed a group starting transmissions as
Barra Head on the hour
Tory Island 1 minute post hour
Eagle Island 2 minutes post hour
Mizen Head 3 minutes post hour
Round Island 4 minutes post hour
Créach d’Ouessant 5 minutes post hour
Each transmits for 55 secs at intervals of 6 minutes so providing a continuous service from the group. Group frequency: 308kHz Note frequency: 1052Hz
Clock and AGA Transmitter Unit
Transmits on request only. Beacon established: 1971. Range: 5 miles Frequency: 312,6kHz
Signal Character: ZC--..-.-. x2 5 secs
Long Dash ---- 10 secs
Total period 15 secs
Amplidan 15770 Keyed carrier – no modulation Range 100 nautical miles Frequency 300 kHz.
MZ 3 times 13 secs
Long dash 45 secs
Silent 2 secs
Total Period 60 secs.
Racon Ericon Mk I ‘X’ & ‘S’ band frequency agile
Power supply One Lister TS2 6kVA 220V single phase 2 wire 0.8 pf mains fail set
Remote monitoring Datac System 900 RTU/Motorola
The Station is a ‘Sub-central’ which sends indications from Mizen Head, Fastnet and Sheeps Head to the CIL Office & Lighthouse Depot.
Communications Radio Telephone VHF Marine Sailor 144
P.S.T.N Telephone 028-35472 1 in Lighthouse, 1 in Radio Beacon House, 1 in Messroom
Explosive Fog SignaL ESTABLISHED 3/5/1909 Discontinued 21/2/77
Light established 1/10/1959
Commendation for Richard Foran PK who rescued Charles Haughey and his crew when his yacht Taurima was washed into the gulley beyond the Workmen’s House.
Two Captain’s Chairs 1 from Rock Island and 1 was always in the kitchen. 1 Table and Cupboards. All made to the plans of the Irish Lights.
CIL Ware This ware has the CIL crest. It is all different ages, styles and manufacturers. Some is pre 1922. The ware is very scarce as it was always collectable.
CIL Flag The present flag displays the St. Patrick Cross. The old flag displayed the St. George Cross. The flag in the Kitchen is the Northern Irish Flag. The St. George Flag is in the Engine Room and the St. Patrick Cross is in the Keeper’s Bedroom.
Racon Beacon Transponder Unit Type 2A Serial no. 288. Aerial Type 5.