The Mizen Head Footbridge is a reinforced concrete through-arch structure which provides access to the Fog Signal Station at the tip of Mizen Head in the south west of County Cork.
The Commissioners of Irish Lights held a design competition in the early 1900s for a crossing to the signal station on the island of Clogháne. There were several designs. The winning design by Mr. Ridley from London was for a reinforced concrete structure comprising a pedestrian deck suspended between a pair of parabolic rib arches anchored 45m (147 ft) above the gorge. The bridge span was 52m (170 ft) and the arches flared from a width of 3.7m (12 ft) at either side to 1.6m (5.25 ft) at the central section where the ribs intersected the deck.
The bridge was built by Alfred Thorne & Sons of London and was completed in 1909 at a cost of £1,272.