Radio Beacon Plinths and Radio Beacon Transmission Hut
In 1931 a wireless radio beacon was installed. It was the first in Ireland. The cables for the beacon spanned from the concrete plinths on either side of the gorge. The hut on the cliff was the radio transmission hut. When the radio beacon was superseded, the hut was used by the local cliff rescue unit to store their gear.
For a description of modern Navigational aids look at this link.
The large red tanks stored oil and water. Before the visitor centre was opened, there was a short fence along the path down to the Signal Station. Attached to this were the red pipes supplying the water and oil for the tanks and on to the Station. The oil was used for the generators before there was electricity at the Station.
Adult: €7.50 | Senior/Student: €6
Child under 14: €4.50 | Child under 5: Free
Group & Family Deals
Family (2 Adults and up to 4 Children): €25
Groups (10 and over): Adults: €6.50 | Senior/Student: €5 | Child 5-14: €3.50